Sunday, October 12, 2008

Observations

Working in the café at borders allows me to watch people as I’m helping
them as well as during the slow periods. Earlier today, I was trying to
make drinks, get food and ring people up at the same time. I taken the
orders of three people and there four others in line. Although I
communicated that help was coming and their orders would be taken and
filled, some people were getting fidgety while others were waiting
patiently.

People who had both paid and were waiting had unexpected reactions. It
was obvious that I was working alone at the moment and the first three
people waiting in line were waiting patiently telling me to take my
time. The newest arrival is the most vocal about not wanting to wait. At
the same time, one of the women who had paid was presenting her receipt
asking if I had forgotten about her nonverbally demanding her drink.
After the rush went away, one of the patient people was saying how
unbelievably rude those people were, since they saw how hard I was
working to expedite things. They didn’t say anything because they didn’t
want to gain the attention of the impatient people.

Everything is about speed, how fast can you get one thing done and move
onto another. Some people had no problems voicing their obvious
frustration, which did not sit well with the patient customers. Its
usually the case that people who don’t agree with another persons
actions will not voice their opinion. They will quietly come up to the
person and admit they wanted to say something, but felt it wasn’t their
place to say something. People like watching conflict and choosing
sides, but they will not come to the defense of others. It kind of
reminds me of car accidents. Not too long ago, a man in New England was
crossing the street and was struck by a car. This happened in daylight
with lots of witnesses, yet no one helped him. One person even went up
to him to take either a picture or video on his camera phone but did
nothing to actually help the victim. There is a fear in people that they
will make the wrong choice and they will be chastised. Society serves as
the moral compass and most people just want to fit in.

No comments: