Saturday, October 11, 2008

Group Project

For the 1984 group, none of us really knew what was expected so well just threw ideas for what to do out. I think it turned out for the best and we talked about diverse things. One of the things I did was research Brazil.

I originally heard about Brazil after watching one of Terry Gilliam’s other films. When I first saw the movie, I realized the similarities between 1984 and Brazil. In the insert for the movie, Gilliam says that there are similar themes but the movie and book are not connected. In fact Gillian had never read 1984.

What Gilliam wanted to do was create a movie for the current generation. His biggest hope was that people would see the ludicrousness of the bureaucracy. He did this by having people be controlled by paperwork. This was similar to the book controlling people through language. There was also a similar look to what the 1984 world was like and the visual world of Brazil.

I had some points that I wanted to make during the discussion but it was hard to do with having 9 people in the group. All I really touched upon was the bureaucracy aspect of the movie.

No comments: